Buducnost demonstrate promise against Podravka
In the first half of their group A match in the DELO EHF Champions League on Saturday evening, Buducnost BEMAX were kept in check by HC Podravka Vegeta. However, the hosts cruised away in the second half to take a 27:21 win.
- centre back Matea Pletikosic had a superb outing for Buducnost, scoring 12 goals, seven of which came in the first half
- Podravka lost their 13th game in a row, one shy of their record in the DELO EHF Champions League
- the Croatian side had another modest outing in attack, scoring only 21 goals, for a meagre 47 per cent attack efficiency
- this was Buducnost's biggest win in Europe's premier competition since a seven-goal win against Podravka in February 2021
- Podravka's only win in the group phase came in the first game against Buducnost. This was Podravka's worst season in the DELO EHF Champions League
Buducnost finally breathe a sigh of relief
This was one of the worst seasons for Buducnost BEMAX in their history in the DELO EHF Champions League. The Montenegrin side suffered 11 losses, but they showed flashes of potential throughout the season, especially in their final few games.
Buducnost finished group A in seventh place, but their last two victories laid the foundation for further improvement under coach Bojana Popovic.
Both teams showed great fighting spirit. It was uncertain in the first half. In the second (half), we were great in defence and scored some easy goals. We kept the advantage until the end and I can say that this is perhaps our best half of the season. Anastasija Babovic was great in goal in the second half, all the girls had great energy, and some younger ones — like Jelena Vukcevic — made the difference.
Buducnost BEMAX played with more energy and deservedly won. The game against FTC that we played on Wednesday obviously left a mark in our game, because we don't have enough players in the line-up. We do not manage to play well for all 60 minutes. With 21 goals, it is difficult to win in Podgorica.