Krim clinch MOTW win in tight contest against Brest
The Match of the Week featured a crunch fight between Krim Mercator Ljubljana and Brest Bretagne Handball, where the defences shined and the attacks took the back seat, with the hosts securing a 24:22 win.
MOTW: Krim Mercator Ljubljana (SLO) vs Brest Bretagne Handball (FRA) 24:22 (12:10)
- three goals in quick succession from right wing Jovanka Radicevic helped Krim enjoy a 4:0 start to the match. Brest’s first goal came after seven minutes and 27 seconds
- Brest continued to fight back, but found themselves at the receiving end of another 3:0 run in the middle of the second half, which proved to be the pivotal moment of the match
- the two teams’ attacks had an off day, with Krim converting only 39% of the chances they had, while Brest had a 38% attacking efficiency
- Radicevic finished the match with six goals, closing in on Anita Görbicz’s all-time scoring record in the EHF Champions League Women. The Montenegrin right wing has now scored 1013 goals, three goals shy of the record
- goalkeeper Barbara Arenhart was named Player of the Match after an outstanding outing. She saved 20 shots, for a 47.6% saving efficiency, and constantly frustrated Brest
Krim use sturdy defence to prevail in Match of the Week
It was not the prettiest of wins, but Krim will definitely take it. The Slovenian side were in dire need of a positive result after losing four of their five matches, and they will enter the EHF EURO 2022 break on a high.
With plenty of experience at his disposal, Krim coach Dragan Adzic showed his defensive nous. He knew exactly what Brest’s issues were and exploited them, limiting the French side to only 22 goals.
It was one of Brest’s worst attacking outings. The French side have lost some key players and have issues plaguing their attack, which morphed from one of the best in the past few seasons to one that scored only 24.1 goals on average this time.
I am satisfied with all that our girls have given in the last three months, and we can see that today on the field. I am happy with the whole game. I am thankful that Barbara Lazovic did a good job and also our defence, which today was at a very high level.