Barça tie scoring record with strong win against Elverum
Barça extended their winning run to four games, by delivering a superb attacking performance to clinch a 46:30 win against Elverum Handball, in the round 4 Match of the Week.
The reigning champions also tied their best attacking performance in the competition of 46 goals scored in a single game, previously set against Danish side KIF Kolding in the 2009/10 season.
MOTW: Elverum Handball (NOR) vs Barça (ESP) 30:46 (15:23)
- Barça’s 23 goals in the first half were the most scored in the Machineseeker EHF Champions League since the Spanish side scored 24 against HC PPD Zagreb in the group phase in October 2020
- it was the 12thwin in a row for the Spanish side in the competition, with their last game without a win coming against Paris Saint-Germain Handball, 28:28, in last season’s group phase, in December 2021
- Barça scored over 40 goals in a game for the first time since May 2021, when they scored 40 goals against HC Meshkov Brest in a 40:28 win
- the Spanish side tied their best-ever start to the competition after four rounds, with a clean sweep of their opponents, a feature that they had previously managed in eight other seasons
- Elverum have started the Champions League with four losses in a row for the second time in history, with the fourth loss coming against Barça, exactly the same outcome as the 2019/20 season
- the Spanish side now boasts this season’s best attack, with 151 goals, an average of 37.75 goals scored per game, seven more than second-placed Nantes
Flawless attack lifts Barça to record performance
There is little doubt that Barça are now well past coach Antonio Carlos Ortega’s settling-in period and the Spanish team is currently firing on all cylinders, riding a red-hot 12-game winning streak in the Machineseeker EHF Champions League.
The packed Hakons Hall in Lillehammer witnessed a flawless attacking performance from the reigning champions, who had 12 outfield players on the scoresheet, and boasted an incredible 90% shot efficiency in a dominant display.
I think we played an almost perfect game, especially in attack, 46 goals speak for itself. We played really well today, it was a game with high intensity, with a lot of shots. It is always good to play in Norway and be back in Scandinavia.