Motor extend excellent home form at Flensburg’s expense
HC Motor dominated in the second half to beat a SG Flensburg-Handewitt side depleted through injury, leapfrogging their opponents in the group B standings as a result.
Flensburg conceded their fifth loss of the season, losing 22:31 after winning the reverse fixture.
HC Motor (UKR) vs SG Flensburg-Handewitt (GER) 31:22 (15:14)
- backs Aidenas Malasinkas and Dmytro Horiha scored nine of Motor’s first 10 goals, with the Flensburg defence unable to stop them. Malasinkas was the game’s top goal scorer, with nine goals
- Flensburg’s left wing Emil Jakobsen had his best outing in the Champions League this season. He scored eight goals, after putting 11 goals past opposition goalkeepers in the previous matches
- the Danish left wing also scored Flensburg’s 7,000th goal in their history in Europe’s premier competition. They become the sixth club to hit that milestone after Barça, Veszprém, Kiel, Zagreb and Celje
- Motor continue to enjoy a strong run on their home court, winning four out of five games this season, while Flensburg lost their fourth away game
- this was the Ukrainian side’s largest win in the EHF Champions League since September 2017, when they won by 13 goals against Russian side Chekhovskie Medvedi, 36:23
Motor secure biggest win of the season
Motor’s 48th win in the EHF Champions League Men was truly impressive. It was their biggest of the season so far, as they secured another home victory after wins against FC Porto, Dinamo Bucuresti and Telekom Veszprem HC.
It was a win that helped them leapfrog Flensburg in the standings, with eight points, one more than the German team, with the Ukrainian champions firmly in the mix for a last 16 berth.
SG Flensburg-Handewitt got some of their mojo back, as centre back Jim Gottfridsson and line player Anton Lindskog made their returns after positive Covid-19 tests, but the absence of coach Maik Machulla was impossible to overcome. The German side stood little chance against HC Motor, with a 40 per cent attacking efficiency against the Ukrainian side.
The first half was not successful enough for us. Shifting emphasis during the half-time break gave us the chance to improve our performance. Making only four technical fouls is a good achievement. Furthermore, we beat Flensburg by nine, which is incredible.